Aggelokastro is one of the most important Byzantine castles of Greece . Located on the island of Corfu at the top of the highest peak of coast on the northwest coast near Paleokastritsa and on the edge of the top of the steep slope .
The origin of the name is not entirely clear, some historians say that in 1214 Michael Komnenos , Despot of Epirus occupied Corfu and after his death , Michael II Komnenos , fortified the area by building the castle and gave him the name of his father : Angelokastro . Today the castle , though incorrectly , called the Castle of St. Michael the Archangel .
Because the location of the castle is a significant strategic position Angelokastro played an important role in the fate of the island for many centuries . In times of peace was also a center of commerce and development. During the excavations in 1997 by the Society of Byzantine Antiquities of Corfu two ancient Christian tombs discovered at the edge of the citadel , showing that the area was inhabited by the early Byzantine period ( 5th to 7th century AD. ) .