It is one of the oldest and most important Helleno-Christian monuments of our island !! The history of this holy monastery lost in the mists of time ...
According to the tradition that survives, he moved there in early Christian times (mid-fifth century AD) an ascetic who came from the northern continent, called Artemios Paisios.
That monk he also carved into the rock, the Hermitage and remained there until the end of his life.
Besides the hermitages, he also carved and church on the rock and stairs right from it, leading to the top of the rock. Therein the Ascetic carved in stone the his throne and from there he gazed the boat through his parents were, who came to persuade him to return home.
Then the ascetic, he dug his grave outside the church went in and prayed ... When a boulder was cut over his grave and covered his body. His parents, when they arrived, they tried in vain to move the stone, because it is said that the rock was glowing!
The parents of the hermit built the present church of the Transfiguration of the Savior with two adjacent cells, in which ho and from there up to the area the name Hermitage.
In the historical archives of Corfu there are texts attest to the important role played by the Hermitage during the monastery's operation, both the Byzantine and the post-Byzantine era.
In particular during the 17th century heyday of the monastery culminated in the establishment there and stay four metropolitans exiled by the Turks, who came from northern Epirus at the Hermitage where they buried ...
The Kastorias Porphyry in 1610, the Himaras and Delvinou Callinicos 1680, 0 Dyrrachion Athanasios in 1727 and the Corfiot to origin Athanasios Sopotos.
Metropolitan Athanasios built the two-story cell, whose stone vaults are known for their durability and excellent technical construction. In the gables of the building is erected on the west side of the emblem of the Byzantine Empire (the two headed eagle) and the east, the head of the snake and the forbidden fruit of Adam and Eve.
During the years of decline of the monastery there was no concern for the preservation of archives and so were dispersed or destroyed valuable instrument! Random rescued letters extracts from the correspondence of the monastery hermitages of the monastery of St. Catherine on Mount Sinai, which attest the financial transactions that were around in the 1600s, and a Bible printed in the year 1540 !! While the oldest document is a reference to the Hermitage is 1371 AD, time in Corfu in charge did the Angevins, the rulers of Naples !!!
From 1930 to 1939 operated at the Hermitage agricultural college, which enrolled about forty students from across northern Corfu. But then the operation was stopped because of the war
The Municipal Theatre of Corfu was the main theatre and opera house in Corfu, from 1902 to 1943. The theatre was the successor of the Nobile Teatro di San Giacomo di Corfù, which became the Corfu city hall. It was des...